My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #296

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet and 3 trombones.

This is the updated version of #5. The original is around 45 seconds long. Out of the first six pieces, this is the one that least required updating. Sure, it’s only 45 seconds, but it does a good job in expressing a complete musical thought in a short amount of time. OK, the trumpet goes into the stratosphere for a few notes; the highest being a B. This is because I wasn’t particularly attuned to practical aspects of any given instrument at the time. For me, this project was just a series of exercises that I thought that I would abandon after a few dozen attempts. Yeah, I was kind of wrong. So I turn back to #5 with more practical considerations in mind. Try as I may, I couldn’t eliminate that high B. It sounds good, so I kept it. To expand the piece, I added an intro and a middle part, which allowed me to repeat sections and bring the tune about to exactly two minutes. There really wasn’t that much I could do for it. And honestly, I don’t think I’ve improved it. I’ve just made it longer and more unfocused. Well, that’s the risk I’m taking with all these pieces. But I’m happy to say that the remaining six pieces need fixing much more than this one.

No comments: