My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

The Worst

Well, I wish that each of these pieces was an instant classic, but there are a few prominent dogs among these 300 - actually 301 - tunes. Here they are and why:

#2 - Big and pointless. I was still a little iffy as to what I should do with all that brass.
#17 - This was my first attempt to write something big and ugly - and it shows. Later attempts were far more skilled.
#93 - I knew this was bad when I wrote it, but was helpless to improve it. This tune was detemined to stink, so who am I to deny its destiny?
#100 - This was supposed to be the spirited, minor-key fanfare for the next 100 pieces and beyond, but it turned out to be probably the worst piece of this entire project. That's all!
#132 - After writing just a few of the 11 sets of variations, I realized that this main theme isn't very good. Fortunately, I was able to derive some very good variations from it, despite its lack of quality.
#257 - This is a really unsuccessful tango.
#286 - After writing a lot of good stuff for a long time, everything that has guided me through this project so far suddenly went on vacation. This piece took me two whole days to finish and it lacks even the rudiments of skill and charm.

No comments: