My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #132

For 1 cornet.

OK, so finally I’m choosing to dwell on a theme for the next 10 days. This is it. I figured there would enough variation options in this piece. To a certain extent, I was right. Anyhow, this particular number is about as straightforward as I could get. It’s a simple AABA slow swing tune that has a few harmonic hiccups along the way. Just note that what you’re hearing soundwise is a plain-old trumpet and what I had in mind was a cornet with a bucket mute, but since, as most are aware by now, Finale doesn't have a cornet patch or a bucket mute option. A trumpet-playing friend told me that he’s not even sure that they make bucket mutes for cornets. My experience with hardcore trumpet players is that if they’re playing anything remotely trumpet-like, there’s a way to mute it. I’m counting on that for this piece. If the combination can be achieved, it will sound really weird. I mean, anything with a bucket mute on it sounds super-strange in the first place, but couple that with the thin tone of the cornet and it should sound pretty wacky. But I digress. My whole point is that the variations on this theme will begin today!

No comments: