My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #114

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

Just think, only two days ago I wrote one of my worst pieces. This is a great improvement over that. This project has taught me that if I’m out of ideas, I should write in an odd meter with a smaller ensemble. I’ve had success in the past with this approach. This is the product of that blind labor. OK, so it follows the familiar AABA scheme (with an intro out front), but it works out nicely and sounds good. I would like to explain how it works and what kind of thinking prodded me toward certain decisions, but my experience has always indicated that no one is interested in process. It's the final product that matters. The bare facts are that I began writing it, then I finished - and here's the proof. I’m very happy with how it turned out.

No comments: