My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #93

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 3 trombones and tuba.

OK, I’ll just say it: this is the worst thing I’ve written so far. I tried to duplicate the success of #87 with it tipsy tonality and manic energy, but it just doesn’t work. I can’t get the arbitrary changes to sound plausible. Everything sounds stilted and weird and the various sections could be from completely different pieces, such is the lack of cohesion. And dude, where’s the energy? Yes, I was aware of its failings while I was writing, but there was nothing I could do about it. Nothing seemed to work, so I just added to the pile of slop, hoping for some kind of catalyst to come along and save it from being dreadful. It never came. I apologize for the mess. See, I warned you that there would be bad pieces! This is one of them. And since I can't figure a plausible way out of it, I won't revise it tomorrow. It's good to have a bad piece or two around to haunt you for all time.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: