My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #103

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

I got to thinking about 9/8. Yeah, I know, fascinating stuff. But the thing is that there are several ways of approaching it. The first is as a waltz. The second is as a shuffling waltz. The third is as a breakdown of three quarter notes and three eighth notes (or some combination thereof). I take the third track with this piece. That’s why there’s a little hitch to the feel. Although this tune is nice and all, it doesn’t distinguish itself so much. It's harmonically simple. But it does mark the beginning of a brave new era. This is a departure from the first hundred, not only in feel but in spirit – not in form, though. I stick to my guns as far as form is concerned. Looking back, it becomes obvious that this piece could not be written at the beginning of this project or even 50 pieces ago. This makes me think that some progress has been made.

No comments: