My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #74

For 3 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

Sometimes it’s necessary to call for reinforcements and hit harder. I wanted to write another march, since #73 didn't work out quite as super-patriotically as I wanted. But this being the 5th of July, patriotism didn't seem to matter, just like caring for your fellow man isn't quite so important after Christmas. Since I’m trying to be vigilant against writing the same piece over and over again, I figured that the horns should lead. The trumpets have been dominant in all of the other marches I’ve done so far. This piece took quite a chunk of the day to write (rule of thumb: the larger the ensemble, the longer it will take, but not always) and I’m very pleased with how it turned out. It’s one of my favorites and probably the best thing I’ve done so far. My favorite part is the second iteration of the A theme with the trumpet playing the countermelody. That's where the money is. Other than that, there’s really not much more I can say about it.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: