My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #33

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

Although it sounds pretty Balkan, it isn’t authentic. The equation for this to sound as such is an odd meter (in this case alternating 7/8 and 9/8), the use of the harmonic minor scale (with a raised fourth; that really gives the scale a punch), lots and lots of ornamentation, short phrasing and much repetition distributed around the band. The accompaniment is a little jerky, but it just reflects the odd-meter aesthetic. What you get sounds like it could pass muster in Plovdiv. But no, a real Bulgarian could tell the difference. This is otherwise the real deal. It's why I started this project - to write something completely out of my usual element. Also, I'm very fond of the abrupt walk-away ending.

Just one technical note: there are a few points in this when the trumpet either needs an air compressor or some circular breathing chops, because, for the life of me, I can't figure out where they can take a breath. I'm aware of that, but I'm not going to change anything. I'm pretty sure that this isn't ever going to be performed by a real ensemble, so I'm not sweating the breathing details.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: