My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #130

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

When you think of odd hybrid combinations, something like “blues polka” is probably way down on the list. That’s primarily what this piece is. OK, so it doesn’t hold with the blues progression for all the themes, and yes, it does get a tad march-like in the latter stages, but I think the blend works well. For the main theme, I wanted something chatty and repetitious to stretch over the 12-bar framework. Following that, I do a little stop-time with the horns and some other stuff that culminate with the horns taking over and the trumpets doing a shout-chorus thing. If I’ve done my job right, then this number will sound like 0% jazz and 100% polka with some march elements.

No comments: