My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #136 (Variation #4)

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

There I was, only four days into a project 10-day variation excursion and I was running out of ideas. Since #135 worked out OK with a retrograde approach, I elected to take it to the next step by using the inversion as inspiration. And just to mix things up more, I put the whole thing in 7/4 and gave it two different feels, the first of which is low-grade generic surf, while the second is a weird Eastern European slow-dance thing. Yeah, I know, what’s the connection? Hopefully, it doesn’t sound like two different pieces within the same tune. I mean, I’d like to think that there’s some kind of continuity going on here. I haven’t listened to it enough to judge either way, but it turns out pretty well.

No comments: