My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #78

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

Once again at a loss (it happens and quite often), I gave Kris another call. He told me to write a waltz. I’ve written lots of waltzes so far. Another one wasn’t a thrilling prospect until I thought about something in 9/8 and working in some nice warm ninths into the scant accompaniment. Well, I was on the right track, but the end result is quite unsatisfactory. The intro is no good, the horn part in the B section is rather jarring (the phrasing is just bad and weird) and I hated the ending, among many, many other things. Plus, I really didn’t do anything within the form. I just go through it once and end. Oh, the lazy incompetence! Since I felt that the piece wasn’t an utter, complete loss, I chose to keep the first version (as a cautionary tale) and make some major repairs on it the next day.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: