My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #119

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

My experience with #102 was so profound that I wanted to duplicate it. At this point it’s similar to my obsession with #12. Well, that was the way it started out. Instead, it ended up as a souped-up chorale. It didn’t include the moody, neo-romantic murkiness of #102, but it does have those nice processional ninths between the trumpet and tuba right in the middle, so I guess that counts for something. It just goes to show that I really can’t imitate myself at all – not even within very narrow confines. I suppose that’s a good thing. I mean, writing the same piece over and over again ain't my scene, but it is for some people. Others, say, for instance Shostakovich, don't write the same piece again and again, but they do have a distinctive and recognizable style. If I had the choice, I'd take "recognizable style" over "self-plagiarism" any day. That's what I'll shoot for.

No comments: