My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #107

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

This is another crack at polytonality. This time, we’re in an odd meter (5/8) trying to express a complete thought. I think it all works out. There’s a certain sound and energy to this piece that make me believe that polytonality can sound halfway normal. I mean, there has been enough of it in film soundtracks already, so your average listener's ear is already accustomed. It's just usually employed when things are going awry (or just about to go awry) on the screen. But there is a lot of depth to polytonality. I just don’t want this tune to sound demented or unskilled. You be the judge.

No comments: