My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #40

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

I also love doo wop. I grew up during the doo wop revival of the seventies, which was both brief and powerful. But I'm quite aware that the brass ensemble is a poor choice for presentation of it. All I had to do for this one was alter the time signature slightly (I took out an eighth note from the standard 12/8 of the doo wop ballad and put it in a non-standard 11/8) and concentrated on keeping the melody either terse or flowing and voila, a new piece is born. OK, so it doesn't sound much like doo wop, but you see where I'm trying to go, right? My apologies to the trombones; I know you guys like to breathe, but this tune does not allow for that. Honestly, there isn't anyplace for a breath in the early going, but on the plus side, you don't have to play very loudly, so I'm thinking you could probably hold out 20, maybe 30 seconds (if you're non-smokers, which most trombonists are for some reason) before collapsing or getting goofy. That's all this piece really needs. After that, it's pretty easy until the same demands are made on you at the end. Good luck.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: