My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #100

For 2 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

Well, here’s #100… Oy, I wish it was better. I wanted to return to the fanfare format and this is what I came up with. It wasn’t the optimistic and powerful statement that I wanted to usher in the next 100 pieces with... It does end well, which I suppose is something, but I was hoping that the momentum from #99 would make this just as good. It’s hard to say where everything goes wrong. I guess it begins in the first measure and continues from there in a meandering and pointless way. Honestly, there’s quite a lot of no good in this piece. It ends strongly, but that isn’t enough to redeem it on any level. As bad as it is, at least I can console myself (as I often do after I write something awful) by remembering that this piece didn’t exist the day before and now it does. Love it for being quickly assembled and shoved at the world. If that doesn’t work (which it doesn't; who the hell wants to claim credit for something so bad?), then I tell myself that I’m just that much closer to writing a good piece. And indeed #101 is quite nice. So I apologize for this one. It’s the stinkiest thing I’ve written in a long time. If you're looking for the worst piece so far, this is probably it. The best? I dunno...#12, #46, #61, #74, #87 or thereabouts. It's tough to make a definitive choice because they're all so different.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: