My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #131

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

After studiously avoiding anything jazz-like during #130, I decided on a reiteration of the jazz-waltz principle. My last attempt was a ways back with #80. That wasn’t a bad effort. I especially like its shout chorus towards the end and the piece’s ending itself. But I was a little disappointed that its harmony was a tad bland and repetitive. For this, I wanted to replace the terseness of #80’s main theme with a longer more lilting tune. The stops at the end of the phrase aren’t my favorite parts of the piece, but it gives me a chance to introduce weirder harmony, because, once again, my effort at building a true-blue jazz progression was something of a failure. Still, the framework suits the piece rather well and supports the change of feel in the middle soli section nicely. This is yet another example of what I couldn’t have done a month or so ago.

No comments: