My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #61

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

This is the best example so far of what having no ideas sounds like. I’m very pleased with this piece. Seriously, I picked the instruments and the time (5/8) and key (A minor) signatures in advance. Everything else was guesswork from the git-go. Based on the key and the rhythm, I wanted to keep the trumpet low and cranky, and, since drifting keys is fun, I worked in a lot of circle-of-fifths stuff into the A section and beyond. That approach takes a time-out in the middle transition part. I had no clue how to proceed, so I just wrote some sixteenth notes and a then a building antecedent to bring us back home. Everything comes together nicely. Sure, in basic form there are a lot of similarities between this and #60, but I assure you that this is far better. Everything about it makes it a One Day Wonder Classic. Even though it'a a robo-track, it manages to show some major personality in audio form. I really like this little tune. It works well.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: