My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #36

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

I wanted to visit the neo-baroque environs again, but this doesn’t quite reach it. That’s OK. Instead, you get a very sober lamentation that will sound about 100 times better when handled by real musicians. All you need is a capable trumpet player and you’ll really feel the lament, I tell you what. The horns and later, the trombones, have long continuous accompanying parts, but there are ample opportunities for them to breathe along the way, so nobody's gonna turn blue or get euphoria from oxygen deprivation. But that would be kind of fun to see. I've had it myself a few times in my other guise as a sax player and it's kind of a blast, especially when you're playing in a big band. The only problem is that you get so happy that you don't give a rip about the notes, your eyes wander and suddenly, the sax section sounds like 5th-grade music class. Even people who don't know anything about music begin to notice. So yeah, it's a lot of fun, but it has a price.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: