My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #144

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

Free at last from the tyranny of the variations! Saints be praised! It would really be a cause for celebration if I didn't have 156-odd pieces left to write. So it's back to the business at hand - writing lots and lots of music very quickly. I came up with this weird idea that I should feature an unfolding chant-like theme and see what happens. What we end up having is a repeating melody (in octaves) with some commentary from the rest of the ensemble. As the piece goes on, the theme itself becomes just a little demented due to the half-step dips from the higher brass. Overall, this piece isn't too shabby. It works out well, but I didn’t have much emotion invested in this, but it does achieve what I’d intended, which was kind of, ahem, limited.

No comments: