My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #95

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

By this time, I was having a problem with tonality. Here’s the rub: I’m writing a piece a day, but I’m not completely sold on tonality - never have been, never will be. What I did with conventional changes in #87 is nice and fun, but this piece right here is alarmingly ordinary in the diatonic sense. That means that it stays in the same key for a substantial time. People, we’re living in the 21st century! We can play in damn near any key we want at any time. And jazz has proven that ordinary diatonic (or near-diatonic) tunes can be infused with odd harmonic changes that don't rely on any solid tonal center. Well, this piece doesn't make that claim. We start in F and end in the same way. The weird thing about all this is that I tried to create some kind of hybrid latin piece, but it didn’t work out, so it just became this ensemble thing that tries to present its best for the world. I’m not displeased with it, so maybe everything works out. It has a very sunny sound. Maybe that's what I was going for after all. Please enjoy.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: