My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #105

For 3 horns, 3 trumpets and tuba.

My major preoccupation with this little number was parallel lines and chord extensions. Once again, riveting stuff... OK, it does sound a little muddy as a complete ensemble, but that’s what you get when you extend things way too far up the scale. Basically, I stack everything in thirds (most of the time) and spin out some crisp lines. This is why they invented counterpoint – too much parallel motion was making folks yawn. Well, hopefully this won’t make anybody do that. I mean, it’s pretty short and it varies enough so that it’s not all parallel motion. And that, folks, is my spirited defense of this piece. Have a listen!

No comments: