My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #65

For 2 horns, 3 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

I tried to write another dirge. There was another death in the family. This piece doesn’t quite have the right feel to it. For one thing, it’s in 12/8, which may not be the best metrical choice. For another, dirges by and large are not supposed to be melodic. They’re generally intended to be these plodding displays of raw emotion. This has its moments, but misses the mark. I’m particularly disappointed with the ending. Nothing I tried seemed to work, so I settled for the thing that worked the least terribly. It’s still pretty weak and unsatisfactory. So here's what I learned today: my ability to spin a dirge may not be as advanced as I thought it was. I'll try again soon.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: