My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #60

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

Alternating odd-meters return! The last time I did a 7/8-7/9 combo, it was in #33. That was a fake-Balkan-thing. This is a slick number that reminds me of the prog-stuff from the early seventies that distinguished itself only because it was in an odd meter. Everything else about it is entirely inoffensive, unremarkable and rather groovy. Yes, it has some cool aimless noodling up front and some even cooler backgrounds further on back. I'm pretty happy with how this ended up. The lesson I learned here was that phrasing in alternating odd meters is very tricky. I had to do a lot of rewriting to get things to sound relatively normal. In their original guise, they sounded either rushed or overly drawn out. You know, sometimes it takes a lot of work to get things to sound ordinary.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: