My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #123

For 2 horns, 3 trumpets, 1 trombone and tuba.

The success of #122 left a fairly deep impression on me, so I wanted to give the trombone the lead again. The big question is how to do it without repeating past successes. The answer is ska. Well, actually, reggae/ska, which is what this ends up being. After all, we’ve got the Harmon-muted trumpets working as our timekeepers; I apologize to them in advance for thei boring parts, but hey, I’ve given them plenty of tough stuff in the past! Anyhow, my main inspiration is early eighties British ska bands, in particular the Specials, who featured the trombone as a solo instrument. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not ripping them off; if I was, I wouldn’t mention them at all. I just want to emulate that kind of stark sound that they made. To contrast that, I wrote a rather swing-like B section. After the return of the A section, we're done. If this isn’t one of my favorites, then it should be

No comments: