My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #50

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

This is the first in a series of three versions of the same tune. They all share the same main melody, basic form and 3/4 time signature, but this one’s secondary and tertiary themes are so different that it feels like they’ve been yanked from something else. Sure, it’s fun to mix things up, but I wanted to have some sense of unity in a piece that only lasts two and a half minutes. Instead, it keeps sounding like the tempo’s constantly changing, even though it remains the same, and that I'm just throwing in elements from different pieces. I would have scrapped the whole thing had it been utter crap, but it's not. My only other choice was to keep the main theme (with a few modifications) and gut the rest. I'm much more successful in #51.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: