My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #52

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

This is the third and final installment in the odyssey. With the help of Finale's handy-dandy transposition feature, I brought down the main theme a step (while keeping the original key signature), making it in (more or less) G major. In a major key, the thing sounds totally weird; it loses its drive and savory semi-Slavic flavor. I put the secondary section in A major. That also sounds weird. Yeah, it's about the tensest major-key thing I can remember writing. All in all, it was a bold and strange experiment that didn't improve on the results of #51. Verdict: modality is a useful tool (which I'll use a lot in future), but it isn't as decisive as I wanted it to be. OK, maybe my technique isn't such that I can take advantage of it, but this project is all about technique and such. It's about writing music as fast as I possibly can and it's about unexpected results. I'm not sure why I just restated that, but it's always helpful to remind myself why I'm doing this.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: