My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #137 (Variation #5)

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets and tuba.

Once again, we’re back to the regular theme without any fancy retrogrades or inversions. For this, I just wanted to take snippets of the melody and present it as block-harmonization. Of course, that kind of approach can get boring quickly if there’s no contrast, so I have individual instruments step out of the chorus (or are omitted) on occasion and I have a B section that offers a glimpse of the cascade effect before heading back to the original feel. The ending features some half-hearted counterpoint that evolves (or devolves) into a short interlude of minimalism before the abrupt conclusion. Overall, it’s not the most charming piece I’ve ever written, but that wasn’t the goal. I’ve been writing block-harmony tunes for a time now and I’m finally beginning to get a handle on them. So just to state this once again, I couldn’t have written this piece a month ago. You know, as long as my technique is evolving, I'm happy. If I feel that I’m just writing the same piece over and over again, I get surly. Here we are with 137 pieces out of the way and I’m still happy. Who could have predicted? If it keeps up like this, I might take on another 300-piece project at the end of this one. Well, maybe not. This has been one hell of a lot of work so far and I'm not even halfway done, so don't hold me to that rash statement.

No comments: