My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #118

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

Honestly, I don’t know how things like this happen. All I wanted to do today was to see a movie with my girlfriend and write a little something. Well, this is what materialized. Seriously, I’m thrilled with the results. I really love this little piece, especially since it started out as absolutely nothing – no plan, no idea, no foggiest of notions. It was such a nothing that I didn’t even have the correct time signature. Then I started writing, penning a trite A theme and I stopped. We went to the movie and found out that we’d gone at the wrong time, then we came home and I started writing again. I still didn’t have a plan. And frankly, this is why I write music – even if you don’t have a clue, you can redeem yourself if circumstances present themselves. And they did. I am incredibly happy with this piece. Here’s the thing: This entire project is an exercise in evolution. I could not have written a piece of this caliber at the onset of this insane venture. It wouldn’t have happened. Even fifty pieces ago, I couldn’t have managed it. This piece’s time is now. It’s not perfect (like everything else I’ve done, except for #12, #46, #61, #74 and #87), but the process was quite unconscious. It just happened. I was just an incidental participant. And that’s what I’m all about – I’m intuitive, not analytical and this tune is all intuition. Sure, it's just a two-minute little thingamajob that doesn't make the least bit of difference to anyone, but I like it.

No comments: