My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #86

For 4 trombones.

The trombone kick continues! I’ve been watching a lot of Peter Gunn lately, and the music is pretty great. Henry Mancini uses a lot of Harmon-muted trombone, both solo and in ensemble. I wanted to use that as my inspiration for this ballad-esque number. Of course, Finale has no sound patch for muted trombone, so I had to use muted trumpet. It sounds a little thin, but rest assured that real muted trombones will sound a lot richer and stranger. Other than the sound of the ensemble, I wanted this to sound like a smoky-yet-atonal slow tune. There are no firm chord changes; just weird harmony presenting itself at every turn.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: