My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #126

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

Once again, we visit proto-jazz. I have many, many, many hot jazz 78s from the twenties, so I have a lot of models to copy. For this piece, I was striving for something authentic that didn’t sound like #77. Well, I succeeded on the latter, but failed on the former. That’s OK. What I came out with was a nice, viable AABA piece that has that tightly-wound feel that sent bluenoses fleeing in terror 80-some years ago. Keep in mind that Finale executes some very poor trombone glissandi, but I’ve been saying that real humans would sound far better than the cheesy playback for quite some time, haven’t I? This is just one of many examples. Anyhow, this is not my first, nor is it my last foray into the early jazz idiom. Neither was a definitive venture. I’ll keep trying.

No comments: