My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #139 (Variation #7)

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

Once more, I’m channeling Gabrieli. And yes, I still haven’t bothered to do any analysis of his pieces. And I’ll say this up front: although this is a real variant of #132, it’s only connected by a few motifs. The rest is pretty self-explanatory. OK, so it doesn’t contain the requisite mood swings of Gabrieli’s material, but it does follow his “shift-and-build” concept that sounds excellent in any cathedral or aircraft hangar. This all got me to thinking that this piece (along with #116 & #117) would sound particularly good if they were performed at the local cathedral. Ah well, it will just have to remain a thought, since there’s no way in hell I’ll get any of these will be performed without some committed players. And getting committed players requires major cash, which I don’t have. But that won’t stop me from writing more. My one major error in getting Mackris v. O’Reilly performed (besides bringing it to the stage in the first place) was having it performed in Seattle. It caused very little buzz, as promoting it was something of a nightmare. If I were to sink serious money into this venture, it would probably receive even less attention. So for the time being, I’m just satisfied with the project itself. Amen.

No comments: