My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #142 (Variation #10)

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombone and tuba.

OK, I’m really anxious to get this mini-project over with. The basic shortcomings in the original form are not generating satisfying pieces, for the most part. Sure, #133 and #139 are swell little tunes, but things could have gone better. Believe it or not, I miss creating brand new things out of thin air each day. I like thinking about things in one-day increments. The prime question of almost every single day is what to write. Revisiting the recent past is not what I’m used to and maybe it’s contrary to the spirit of the original plan. Although I had only wanted to do 10 variations on the theme, I managed to lose count, so despite my eagerness to move on, I condemned myself to another day of variation toil. What can I say about this piece? Well, it employs as many whole-tone elements as I could safely fit in. It doesn’t exactly sing or tug at the heartstrings, but it does strike a very stark and solemn mood to it. The patchy accompaniment helps to emphasize its overall austerity.

No comments: