My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #99

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

With #100 closing in ominously, I decided to pay homage with today's offering. One of the most fun and exhilarating pieces I’ve ever played is Prokofiev’s March Op. 99. There are so many things that are good about it – the wonderful energy, the gleeful dissonances and Prokofiev’s complete mastery over the material. Listen, I’m no Prokofiev and this is no March Op. 99 (incidentally Prokofiev’s piece evolved over the course of two years; this took a day – that fact notwithstanding, he’s still got the better piece; it totally rocks, but I just thought I’d mention that) but I wanted to convey the spirit of the original in some small way. And here it is. Since its completion, I’ve found myself adding dissonances to it wholesale, because that’s really what it needs. So if you think it's full of mistakes, you're wrong. All those dissonances are there for a reason. They add to the manic nature of the piece. At least, I hope that it casts itself as manic. This experience gave me some good ideas for future pieces. Hopefully, they'll materialize over the next few weeks.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: