My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #116

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets and 4 trombones.

Good news! My Gabrieli CDs arrived! And to commemorate that great occasion, I wrote this piece. Like everything else I’ve done, it doesn’t strive for authenticity (that would require analysis); it only struggles to capture the spirit. OK, Gabrieli’s music is far more complex than the “call and response” style that it embodies. I just tried to whip up something that evokes the general twin-choir grandeur. For a little contrast, the sections (horns team with horns, trombones with trombones, etc.) get together for the middle part, then they combine with most of the previous thematic material for the finale. I’m really satisfied with how this turned out. Even for a robo-track, it sounds very spirited and festive. Although I originally wrote it in mid-August (yes, I have a tremendous backlog of pieces to post), it seems appropriate that I'm posting it on the day after Christmas, or Boxing Day for you Canadians, British and assorted Commonwealtheans. Anyhow, I'm happy with how it turned out, but I'll only give it a 7 out of 10 for Gabrieli-esqueness. Hey, that's still not bad for a first try! I'll try something else semi-similar tomorrow.

No comments: