My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #92

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets and trombone.

Since I had no workable ideas for this piece, I just started writing. This probably would have been a good time to use some analysis as inspiration, but I passed on the chance. I wasn’t very fond of the initial results, but now that I’ve had a chance to step back a bit, I’m really quite amazed at what’s going on here. It’s kind of like a mod-sounding (meaning: not altogether contemporary, but not a complete throwback to an earlier era) scherzo, punctuated by some chorale-like passages. Those two elements merge at the end, and then it’s over. Like I said, I thought this was pretty awful when I first wrote it, but I'm fine with it now. I was so down on it immediately after I finished, I thought of concluding this entire project because of it. I'm kind of glad that I didn't.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: