My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #42

For 2 horns and 2 trombones.

This is another problem ensemble; the ranges of the instruments are so close together, more or less, so you need to approach with care. One of the solutions is to use the two sections to contrast each other (isn't that, um, obvious already?) and slow the thing down. OK, maybe this reasoning is simplistic, but sometimes that's all you need. After all, the day before I decided to write a march in minor key. That's all I started out with. Good fortune was on my side and #41 popped out. After the first few measures, I wanted to be something like a saraband, a slow dance that got everybody grinding 350 years ago. Yeah, it's not a real-live example, but it tries to evoke the mood. Like all these tracks, it’ll sound much better with live musicians.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: