My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #134 (Variation #2)

For 3 horns, 2 trombones and tuba.

After the previous day’s effort, I had high expectations for this piece. They didn’t materialize, partially due to the fact that I had to work today. After being unemployed for more than ten glorious (but sometimes desolate) months, I took a two-day job at my former (now present) temp agency. I seem to have forgotten how vexing it is trying to write music while answering phones. I remembered quickly. On top of that, after clearing permission to write music up at the front desk (they’re quite easy-going folks – that’s why I’m working for them), the boss came in and told me that wearing headphones to listen to playback was a no-no. So I just wrote most of this piece without listening to it. OK, so that’s the background. How is it a variation? Well, I wanted to exploit that triplet figure in the B section of the theme. That’s all. And yes, it’s short. My goal is always at least two minutes per piece, but it was such a monumental hassle getting it down on paper. Until I figure out a system of how to write music at work, I should resign myself to writing shorter pieces. As long as they express some coherent musical thought or mood (as this does), I’ll be reasonably satisfied.

No comments: