My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #19

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

I was listening to the radio wondering about what the hell I was going to write today and I heard a story about the post-Katrina return of New Orleans marching bands to the city. Well, I don't have to draw you a picture, do I? I set my sights on writing a funky march. This isn't an authentic, pass-muster New Orleans march. It's just my version of what I thought I heard. Of course, I don't have a percussion section, but when was that ever a bad thing? OK, so the middle section is a little obvious, but going down the blues scale seemed so not wrong that I just had to keep it. This is also the inaugural piece in which I use what I call "join in." It's where separate parts emerge one-by-one until you've got a real tune going on. It also makes the tune longer. I like this device so much, that I use it again and again in future pieces!

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: