My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #44

For 1 horn, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

I wanted to write something melancholy, off-kilter, yet semi-accessible, so I decided to divide up two bars of 4 into 3+3+2 for a weird feel and phrase it in 8-bar chunks in 4 (does that make any sense??), and this is what came up. You can hear what I'm trying to achieve, I hope. The close-harmony muted trumpets gave me a lot of harmonic freedom. I originally wanted them to sound like an accordion, but they’re trumpets, for Pete’s sake! They don’t sound like an accordion! Sorry about that, guys! I still like this piece a lot.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: