My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #32

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

This is another example of a “join-in” piece. It tries to sound as jazz-like as possible. I’m happy I was able to work a shout chorus into the last part, but I'm getting ahead of myself. The problem with this tune is also one of its strengths, that being its extremely short form. I mean, it's only four bars long. But if you're writing a piece for brass ensemble that's just shy of three minutes long, there's no need to create a standard 16- or 32-bar form. In fact, it might even bog the piece down with extraneous changes. So yes, it's repetitive, and yes, the B section is something of a throwaway, but it all comes out in the wash. As a stand-alone jazz piece, it doesn't hold up, I'll admit that, but for this musical environment it's works out dandily.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: