My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #17

For 3 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

Sometimes, you just want to write something big, loud and ugly. Mission accomplished! I had gotten up really early and gone to look at the new art museum. They were keeping it open round the clock for two days. And really, what better thing can you do than go to a museum at 6:45 on a Sunday morning? Well? It was impressive on the contemporary side (they also rock native arts from here till next Thursday), but its renaissance masters and antiquities departments are as lame as they've ever been. Of course, like just about everyone, I dug the exploding cars hanging from the ceiling. Anyhow, all of this put me in the frame of mind for the aforementioned big, loud and ugly piece. The main thing I notice about this piece is that the trombones don't sound very good. This isn't because of my writing - or at least I hope it isn't. They sound kind of nasal and blah (courtesy of my beloved Finale 2005 playback), whereas real trombones would pack an extra-large wallop in this context. I've said it before and I'll say it again: real players will make these pieces (especially this piece) sound much better. Even if this style isn't your cup of tea, good players can bring out the best in it. And yes, this piece does have a good side to it.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: