My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #298

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

Today’s reconstitution efforts focus on #3. The original is a nice little fanfare-esque interchange between trumpet and horn. Yeah, it’s nice, but it needed something extra. I figured I could get more mileage out of it if I brought in a trombone and tuba. This changes everything. The feel becomes less fanfare and more oom-pah, which is what I wanted. I’m always interested in altering any given feel while preserving the original tune. I added a B theme in the horn, which doesn’t have much feel at all and then repeated previous material with additional different feels. Even though much of the music is the same, this really is a completely different piece. That’s about the best I can describe it, which is wholly insufficient. You know, I’ll be glad to finish this project for a variety of reason, most prominent of which is that I don’t have to write any more descriptions of my music. I often fail to capture my frame of mind or my prevailing environmental conditions when I’m writing this music. For instance, I lot of the time, people are screaming at each other under my window or all kinds of fire trucks pull up to attend to my crazy (yeah, they’re all nuts) or sometimes Belltown smells funny; today it smelled like a wet dog for no apparent reason. All these things are fun to write about – and let’s face it, blogs are for stuff like frame of mind and environment – but it’s difficult to write about music. Critiquing a performance is much easier, but when considering just music, it’s much, much tougher. I generally don’t write about a piece on the day it was written because I might spend the next few days adding or subtracting things. But I often find that those few days are time enough for me to forget just about every process that went into the piece, so I can only be vague about what goes on. I actually have written about a piece on the day I wrote it, but even then I can’t discuss details. I guess that must be because the thinking that I use in creating a piece is completely divorced from how I would describe it. It’s not easy to describe what goes on in music with words. And that’s all I have to say about it. So please enjoy this update of a very early One Day Wonder.

No comments: