My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #290

For 3 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

Well, the last few days have gone very nicely. In fact, except for #286 and its ensuing crisis, the whole week has been just dandy. But despite that, I woke up in a terribly black mood. I don’t know whether it’s because I recently quit smoking or because of some genuine feelings of despair, but I was feeling like whole project has been a waste of time, because I have no tangible results to offer. The same was the case with Mackris v. O’Reilly. The lack of results continues to this day. Since mid-April 2007, I’ve written what will turn out to be between 12 and 13 hours of music in less than a year and I feel that it has been a profound failure. I mean, I never begin a project with failure in mind (who does??), but that’s how they all seem to end. That was pretty much my frame of mind at the time I started this piece. It all seemed so hopeless. Nobody reads this blog, not even my own girlfriend, so no wonder I feel like giving up. I decided to put my feelings into words, convert my words into Morse Code and use those rhythms in a piece. That’s just what I did. There is no tonal or harmonic system going on here; it only concerns itself with the rhythm. You’ll notice that every section (or instrument combination) has its “dot-and-dash” arrangement. This tune has no form; it just says what it has to say and ends. Yes, a lot of words overlap or are played slightly out of order, but they’re all in the piece. In case you’re interested, here’s the text: “I hate to say it, but I am totally sick of this project. Some of the results from it have been pleasant and surprising, but overall, it has been pure folly. I should stop now to avoid further embarrassment. Well, that would seem even more foolish. I will continue. Then it will be over and I will be free.” I know what you’re thinking: free to do what? My guess is that I’ll be free to go on to my next ambitious-yet-unsuccessful project. Anyhow, my mood improved as the day progressed, but I’m still pretty distressed with how things are at the moment.

No comments: