My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #289

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

Now with the end approaching, I’m trying to think of things that I haven’t covered. Let’s see…marches, check; tangos, check; funk, check; serialism, check; unclassifiable blob-like forms, check. One small something that I haven’t quite gotten to is neo-renaissance stuff. Well, I did make two attempts way back pre-#100 and in the 180s (to the best of my recollection), but both ended up as salvage missions since I couldn’t figure out the mechanics with my limited time. Today I had a pretty good idea as to how it would work. I took a simple little triple-time rhythmic mode, based all harmony around it and wrote the piece. There’s nothing complicated about it at all; it’s just an AABA song form with an add-on toward the end. Hey, I think it works out pretty well. Keep in mind that I’m not striving for authenticity here. I just want to embrace the basic concept, play around with it for a while and be done. I still haven’t taken a close enough look at renaissance harmony to know all of its particulars (as you know by now, I really hate analysis), but at least I have a basic grasp of those weird pan-modal functions. OK, so here’s one less thing on my to-do list.

No comments: