My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #282

For 3 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

Yeah, I don’t seem to be getting smarter about these things. I still rewrite pieces. Perhaps if I gave myself two days per piece, that wouldn’t happen. But if I did, I’d only be in the 140s with almost a year (counting days off and assorted holidays) to go till I hit 300. The one-a-day concept is the best way to go (besides, “Two Day Wonder” doesn’t have the same ring to it), but do-overs are the unfortunate byproduct of that. This is one of them. And yes, it’s much better than the previous version. I replaced the intro with something better and put something in the middle that didn’t suck. Honestly, the middle part of #281 really makes me cringe. But it’s all better now. In a way, it’s a good thing that #281 was unsatisfactory, because I really didn’t have any ideas for today’s piece. OK, that really, really makes me sound lazy, but if it was truly necessary, I would have come up with something. And maybe it would have been as good as this. You can never tell till you’re elbow-deep in it.

No comments: