My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #271

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets and 2 trombones.

This is the first version of two pieces. This one is almost there, but not quite. That’s why I wrote a second version. I had this idea for snaky, interweaving lines and this is what turned out. I had myself stick to a very simple idea, because I knew that my mind wouldn’t be up to conjuring up complex things, because this is the day I chose to quit smoking. Yes, I’ve done it many times before, but there was always something to bring me back to the fold. This time, I think it will work. I won’t bore you with all of my reasons for kicking the sticks, but I’ve got quite a few. It’s just that concentrating and formulating is difficult for the time being. When I finished writing this piece, I wasn’t very happy with it, but I had no idea what displeased me. After playing it again and again, I figured that it was the intervals of the aforementioned snaky, interweaving lines. They’re at regular fifths apart. After a fashion, the ear wants to hear a little variety. At least my ear does. Other than that, this tune worked out OK. It’s not minimalism, as it’s got way too much going on, but at the same time, it doesn’t have a lot of melodic lyricism – or lyrical melodicism – going on. It’s just line running up against other lines and so it goes until it’s over. Tomorrow’s effort is much better.

No comments: