My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #266

For 2 horns, 2 trombones and tuba.

Here we are again, turning things around to see what happens. After #264, I was thinking that the end was nearing for the palindrome. I was wrong. This piece goes down in four-part chunks that all get reversed. The tuba helps to keep things fresh by popping in and running things from the bottom. And although there are lots of similar things in the horns and trombones, the tuba is always mixing things up harmonically (as best as it’s able to within the context) and rhythmically. Towards the end, I break up the parts and run them a beat apart. This works pretty well and I’m happy with it. In fact, I’m really satisfied with how this turns out. It’s got block chords and lots of other stuff. And it isn’t like anything I’ve written so far. Even though I’m really anxious for this project to be done, I can write another 100 pieces if they’re like this one. This was very fun to write.

No comments: