My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #276

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

OK, this is the second “dream” piece. In case you’re joining us late, I dreamt about this tune on the same night as I came up with #274 (which is really fine and trippy). For this one, I had a lot less to go with – just two measures on a page in my head that I can still see now. It was all about converging lines for the trombones. That’s all I needed. A few hours later, it was done. This piece ends up being quite repetitive, but I only use that as a generic term (as in, there are sections that repeat quite often). But hopefully, it doesn’t become pejoratively repetitive (as in, minimalism is so repetitive; please make it stop!) because, if I’ve done my job right, the canonic qualities will obscure the repetitions. Gee, I hope they do. I also tried to jazz up the harmony by dropping a flat every time the theme runs in the trumpet and horn. Yeah, it starts sounding pretty weird toward the end, because the changes go all out of whack, it being suddenly modal and such. All I know is that those two measures put me off to a nice start and I’m very happy with this piece.

No comments: