My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #263

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

We’re back in the land of palindromes again. Well, this one isn’t like the others. Instead of reversing the tune wholesale, I only turn around selected parts. On top of that, I’ve got a weird chord scheme going on: root (in this case, C), up a major third to E, up another major third to G#, then up a last enharmonic major third to C again, then down a minor third to A and the whole thing starts all over again. Eventually, it will cycle back to C. Oh, and did I mention that all the chords are major. Yeah, that’s why it has that “power chord” feel to it. Towards the end, I have everybody play that main rhythmic motif a beat apart. It comes out as a cool echo-like thing. And then it ends. I really like this piece, especially in the light of yesterday’s sub-par effort. It’s backed up by pretty solid stuff and sounds nice, to boot. Once again, there’s not a hummable tune in this, but it really doesn’t matter.

No comments: