My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #283

For 4 trumpets.

I’ve written for two trumpets, three trumpets, but never for four, so it is with great pleasure that I offer this piece. Well, not really, but I’m very pleased with what happens here. I wanted to write something very zippy that plays a lot of games in close harmony. In this case “close harmony” means that most of the intervals are major seconds, though the intro shows off grating some minor seconds. So yeah, the textures are very crunchy, but that doesn’t keep it from being fun. This first part of the piece establishes that it goes fast and sounds crunchy. The second part shows off a more kinetic side of this match-up, in which two trumpets face off against the other two. And that’s about all there is to say. It all turns out very nicely for everyone.

No comments: